a 21st Century tool
for taking risk out of fine art management
panOpticon is an online content management system purpose-built to handle the kinds of data you need to create a catalogue raisonné. That means it’s a database for a single artist’s work, and it is used by estate managers, foundations, galleries, museums, scholars, and sometimes artist’s themselves to provide others with the provenance information necessary to valuate an artwork in the marketplace.
Our software follows cataloguing best practices as recommended by leading members of the Catalogue Raisonné Scholars Association • we refer to the Visual Resources Association guidelines for describing cultural works and images • we use The Chicago Manual of Style as a guide in formatting texts.
And we work continuously with professional art cataloguers to improve and update our product features and protocols.
“One of our challenges is to create a complex online reference tool that can cover the many aspects of Lichtenstein’s work – sometimes it is rather difficult to establish a clear and integrated architecture. But with the help of our panOpticon database we are making great progress.”
— Roy Lichtenstein Catalogue Raisonné Project
panOpticon software powers these catalogues raisonnés –
Walter De Maria
John F. Folinsbee
Fitz Henry Lane
John Singer Sargent
- Our Software is web-based, so it can be accessed anywhere there is an Internet connection.
- The Software is password protected with different levels of access for other users that are entirely under your control.
- If you have data, we can convert and migrate yours to fit our database structure. We convert most data formats. You lose nothing in the process.
- We can work with you to modify our product to meet the demands of a specific artist or to accommodate a particular kind of content.
- We will train your staff, interns, and anyone else who will be using the Software in on-site and/or remote tutorials.
- Call for assistance during regular business hours, or get support via email. Apart from whatever support you need from us, there’s no need for IT involvement—it’s an entirely do-it-yourself enterprise!
- And when you are ready, you can use your data to design for print, or we can work with you to create a website that takes full advantage of your content.